Position: Head of Operations (HoO)
Starting date: August 2021
Contract Length: 18 months with possibility of extension
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Job Location: Bukavu with short trips to project sites in South Kivu and Maniema provinces
Reports To: Country Director
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistance in over 20 countries around the world. Formed in 1992, PIN has grown to be the biggest organisation of its kind in Central Europe, providing relief where it is needed, and empowering civil society in the Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia.
People in Need (PIN) has been present in the DRC since 2008. With its main office in Bukavu (South Kivu) and several field offices, we have been implementing projects focusing on nutrition, basic health care, food security, WASH, education and human rights in the provinces of South Kivu and Maniema.
About the role:
Under the direct supervision of the Country Director, the Head of Operations (HoO) will be responsible for providing technical support, guidance and supervision to the Operations department (logistics and procurement). HoO will ensure that procedures and processes are in place, unified and in line with PIN´s and donor guidelines. HoO also directly leads the process of the development and staff capacity building across the departments in terms of the systems and operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that Systems and Operations support the implementation of the Country Strategy and that procedures and regulations are implemented in full transparency and in compliance with donor and PIN rules
- Ensure standardization of processes/procedures related to operations of logistics and procurement
- Contribute to overall country program economy including identification of gaps, financial and procedural risks, and provision of appropriate solutions
- Oversee logistics budgets, improve needs planning for current as well as new projects with regards to security and logistics
- Provide technical support and guidance to logisticians to ensure effective operations and coordination between the office management, fleet management and procurement, stock and assets management including logistic budgets and planning
- Manage local team and their continuous capacity building based on personal development plans
- Ensure that key support policies are continuously updated as required and appropriated to the context
- Ensure compliance with local legislation, rules and regulations in terms of visas, taxes and labour law
- Oversee procurement system, implement centralised procurement system, follow all relevant donor and PIN guidelines and procedures, and consider relevant corruption risks
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Significant previous experience with managing systems, particularly logistics
- Experience of working within a humanitarian and/or development organization, preferably direct experience from the country program level (outside of the country of residence)
- Experience with team management and supervision
- Ability to work in difficult conditions and under pressure
- Strong coordination, organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English and French
- IT literacy, advanced knowledge of MS Excel, working experience with accounting and economic software
- University degree preferably in Finance/Economics, Logistisc, Public Administration, Law or a related discipline
- Experience with finance management of a projects is an advantage
People in Need offers:
- Salary based on the PIN salary scale, experience and seniority, and per diems
- Housing allowance
- 25 days of paid leave annually along with additional National Holidays based on DRC Labor Law
- Twice a year 2 paid R&R leave days with extra contribution of 500 USD each
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence every 6 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure
- Medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on-line
- ISOS Travel health insurance
How to apply
Are you interested in this job position? Please send us your CV and cover letter in English via this application form (we will not accept another application for the competition).
Only candidates advancing to the next round of the selection procedure will be contacted. We evaluate the submitted applications on an ongoing basis, the sooner you apply, the better. The selection procedure will end the moment we fill the position.
Employees of People in Need are obliged to follow the Code of Ethics of People in Need as well as other key policies of the organization (www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).